Tuesday, November 23, 2021

R.I.P. Chris Thompson (1979-2021)

The Sault Metal Scene sends its deepest condolences to the family & friends of prolific local hard rock drummer Chris Thompson, who just passed away at the age of 42, as per numerous posts on his personal Facebook page. Chris had suffered a heart attack earlier this month and had been battling complications from it in recent days, though I won't go into specifics out of respect to his family. If you've followed local hard rock, metal, and punk bands in Sault Ontario in the past two decades, then Chris' presence behind the drumkit will be very familiar, most recently as the drummer for pop rock cover band Lockdown & their sister group, Foo Fighters tribute band The Soo Fighters, who all just played live at The Rockstar Bar over Halloween weekend. Chris was also a frequent bandmate of J.D. Pearce's in the punk/metal acts Fitswitch, Frightlight (as "Chris Freaknstein"), and Jack Spades, and he also drummed for classic metal band Project 421, their hard rock sister band Eclipse, hard rock quartet Half Past, and death metal band Giwakwa, among others.

I knew that Chris had been battling some health problems that may have explained why he was not part of the Half Past reunion, but I never expected he'd be gone this suddenly, and his loss will definitely be felt by friends, family, and fans alike. My interactions with Chris were always positive, and I know he greatly loved his fiancee Stephanie and his children, who shouldn't have to lose a parent already like this. I'll let you guys know when/if services are made public, but keep the Thompson family in your thoughts, especially with the holiday season fast approaching. R.I.P. Chris!

2 comments:

Chantel said...

I remember him from over the years differant work places. My condolences.

Unknown said...

I remember from Rockstar and school