Peril will return to the The Northern Pines Lounge at the St. Ignace Kewadin Casino for their first concerts of 2015 TONIGHT & TOMORROW NIGHT! Apologies for the short notice, the band just announced the shows on their Facebook page this morning, and Kewadin's entertainment page hasn't been updated to reflect 2015 bookings yet. Coming just three weeks after they capped 2014 at the St. Ignace Kewadin, it's great to see Jeff & company back so soon to deliver their high impact metal covers to the E.U.P. once again, so if you're looking for some concert action across the river, TONIGHT and/or TOMORROW NIGHT's shows wouldn't be bad ideas to hit! There are no announced cover charges, 21+ age limits, and 9:00 PM start times in effect for this weekend, so for more details, visit the above links, and don't miss Peril this weekend! Here at the guys covering Ozzy Osbourne a few years back!
Tantrym Tyme will make their first concert appearance of 2015 when they play at The Elks Lodge in the Soo on Sunday, January 25th! Surprisingly the first announced concert on their Facebook page in four months (though I believe they've played unadvertised gigs in the interim), this will apparently also be their first announced concert since parting ways with bassist Quinton Jacobson, who was quietly removed from their Facebook page's lineup late last year. A reason for his exit has not been announced. Quinton had played with the former Abstract since the spring of 2012, and it is disappointing to see him apparently leave, but hopefully he turns up in another band soon! In his place, guitarist Mike East is listed now as Tantrym Tyme's bassist (reverting the band to their 2011-2012 trio lineup), and he and Quinton had alternated roles in concert, so this isn't that big of a big jump!
To be hosted at The Elks Lodge at 1111 East Portage Avenue (though I'm unclear if the venue or Sunday placement indicates a special reason for the show), this will have an early 3:00 PM start time, no announced cover charge, and likely no age limit. For more details, visit the above links! It's great to see Tantrym Tyme staying busy, so keep this Sunday afternoon gig in mind for later this month, and follow the guys on their new Twitter page!
Finally for today, here's six assorted shorter news items from the last while, and as usual, these are in alphabetical order by band name:
- New Sault Ontario goregrind duo Das Skalpell Kampf revealed their three songs for the upcoming Blood Shed Productions 11-way split demo on their Facebook page on New Year's Eve, and they'll include the previously revealed "Thanks For The Ride" and new songs named "Handing Out Headshots" and "Deep Fried (Long Pig) Steak (Sandwiches)". Interesting, so we'll have to see where this leads, and stay tuned for the full track listing when posted publically!
- According to the newest update on his promotional Facebook group, local concert promoter J.D. Pearce is apparently bringing Toronto metal band Exes For Eyes (featuring Endast frontman James Arsenian) to the Soo in March, though the date and venue are to be announced. That would be a great concert, so stay tuned for updates when they come in!
- Local alternative hard rock quartet Haggith appear to have officially confirmed Jordan Leach as their new full time bassist (replacing James White), as he was included in their "Happy New Year" post on their Facebook page yesterday. Sounds good, he fit in well with them at The Bear Hunters' CD release, but he does need to work on his stage presence. Look for more from Haggith in 2015!
- In his Christmas day post on his forum Freq's Music Planet, prolific local drummer Glen Thomas revealed that his recently dormant progressive hard rock project The Mourning Glory will be releasing new music this year. This is just their second public update since 2013, and it's nice to hear that Glen's still working on Mourning Glory material! See above for more info, and they're now back in our active band links!
- Local goregrind duo Rotopsy have revealed the cover artwork, release date, and title for their upcoming full length demo on their Facebook page in recent days. To be called "Sexual Assault Rifle" (they titled it, don't shoot the messenger!), it's planned for release on April 20th, but we will not share the cover artwork here due to potentially offensive content. Give everything a look above if you want though!
- Sault Michigan classical metal band Theatre of Night released a new original instrumental named "Foster's Death March" to their Soundcloud page on Sunday! Uniquely featuring more of a tribal and deliberate sound than their usual epic metal, give the song a listen above, and stay tuned for more on them and their album plans!
That's all for today, but stay tuned for this month's "Where Are The New Albums?" post TOMORROW, and more news soon! Thanks everyone!