Saturday, February 12, 2011

LOCAL CONCERT ALERTS (Motion Carried, SBD, Sykotyk Rampage, And Sativa Rose) And Two Corrections!!

First of all, I want to (again) apologize for the slow pacing on the SMS in recent days. This seriously is the worst cold I've had to deal with since high school, and this has been ongoing since last weekend. I'm still not over this cold yet, but I hope to be better soon! As such, I made a couple of mistakes and I want to cover them in this post, but first, we have LOCAL CONCERT ALERTS!! Because I've been slow for updates lately, this post is stacked with new shows, and we'll start with one TONIGHT! Here's what you need to know! (EDIT: 4:09 PM)

New local hard rock trio Motion Carried will make their live debut TONIGHT! This slightly short notice show was announced by the band on their Facebook page on Tuesday (apologies for having it so late), and it will certainly have a unique feel to it! They'll be playing tonight at The Grand Theater (itself a rare spot for shows) tonight immediately after tonight's production of The Vagina Monologues! If you don't know what that is, it's a live play where actresses read monologues about female empowerment and situations in their lives, with that part of the body as a common thread. I think that's a fair way to describe it, hopefully I didn't undervalue it at all. This may seem like an odd lead-in to a debut concert for a band featuring members of The Scary Uncles, Frightlight, and Facedown, but hey, a show's a show! The Vagina Monologues itself is $15, but Motion Carried's entry fee is by donation. The play itself starts at 8:00 PM, so I reckon Motion Carried would be playing at around 10:00 PM. I'd expect this to be a 19+ show, but I could be wrong. For more details, check the above links! My cold will likely prevent me from attending, but best of luck to both the play and the band! More on Motion Carried will come as I hear it, and remember, TONIGHT AT THE GRAND THEATER!!

Next up, it's the return of Sykotyk Rampage! Yes, the original crash band are returning to the live concert stage later this month for the first time in 10 months for a show on February 24th at The Roosevelt Hotel! The band took a break from the live stage after bassist Brian Cattapan moved to Sudbury, but he'll be back for this concert! No word yet on if it will tie into the eventual release of their "Genius Mushroom" albums though. According to the Facebook event page, they'll be playing on one of the new punk nights at The Rosie, which does count for them, as they are "blue chinese metal crash punk"! Likely additional bands have yet to be announced. An 11:00 PM start time is listed (I imagine it will be earlier though), you must be 19 to attend, and there's no cover charge. Check the above links for more details! Sounds good, it's great to see Sykotyk Rampage back on stage! Their sound is unique with a lot of entertaining qualities, and I bet they'll make their mark in their return to the stage! Stay tuned for updates as they come in!

Just two nights later, another unique band in the local hard rock scene returns to the stage, that being SBD! The experimental grunge trio will make their first concert appearance of 2011 when they hit Foggy Notions on February 26th as one of the opening bands for local classical/punk trio RedD Monkey! No word on if SBD will have CDs on sale at this show, but hopefully they will! Sounds like a fun show by itself, but a third band (maybe more) is being sought, so contact RedD Monkey frontman Steve Mozarowski on Facebook if you're interested! The show starts at 9:00 PM on the 26th, there is no cover charge, and you must be 19 to attend. For more details, visit the Facebook event page! Sounds like fun for a bar show, and you'll be hard pressed to find a more unique rock concert than this in terms of the styles and sounds you'll experience! I'll have more on this show as it comes in!

...speaking of shows involving RedD Monkey & SBD, they'll also join forces on April 9th for a HUGE all ages concert at The Oddfellows Hall! This show is in honour of Steve from RedD Monkey's birthday, and will also be used to help fund the band's vehicular expenses (i.e. losing the soccer mom van.) The final band order isn't concrete yet, but I imagine RedD Monkey would be headlining. Joining them and SBD are local metal trio Sativa Rose, death metal rockers State of Misery, hardcore quintet As It Stands, grime/crust trio Shit Liver, extreme metal band WinkStinger, and death thrashers Bring The Fallen, with local bass rock trio The Fury also joining in for this massive all ages show! According to the Facebook event page, they're STILL looking for bands for this show, so head there for details if you want to try and get slotted on this one! Admission will be $5 for this concert, it starts at 3:00 PM on April 9th, and yes, it's ALL AGES! Now this sounds like one hell of a concert, I'm definitely going to be there! Stay tuned for updates!

And before I move on, I wanted to add that, yes, I have heard negative reports and rumours about the status of Bring The Fallen. There has been nothing official to confirm or deny them, so I won't outright say anything here, but as of right now, they are still scheduled for this concert. Fingers crossed though, we don't wanna see them end!

And finally, here's a pair of corrections from my last post. Firstly, Sault Michigan metal band Hammerspace are NOT playing at The Merchant's Bar tonight. The show is actually NEXT Saturday, and I screwed up the dates as to which Saturday they were playing. Their only show this weekend was Thursday at Zim's, so DON'T go to The Merchants Bar tonight for Hammerspace, go next week! The other correction is more of an omission, as when I previewed Tym Morrison's show last night at The Eagles Club, I completely forgot to mention his show TONIGHT at The Blueberry Hill Resort in Goulais River! That's on Highway 17 North at the bottom of Mile Hill, if you didn't remember where it was. Tym will play a solo acoustic set there tonight at 9:00 PM, with no announced cover and a likely 19+ age limit. I mentioned this show last month on the SMS but when it came time to mention his upcoming shows on Thursday, it completely passed me by. I could blame my cold for these omissions, but I won't make excuses. So if you want to enjoy some solid acoustic hard rock, go to The Blueberry Hill Resort TONIGHT! My sincere apologies to Hammerspace, Tym, and all of you guys for these errors!

That's all for now, but I should have a new post tomorrow with more updates from the last little while, and yes, our weekly classic video! Stay tuned, and thanks so much for your understanding over my illness and the slow pace we've had lately! Things should be back on a normal speed soon!

No comments: