Chronic Demonic camp, courtesy of their Facebook page yesterday, as the local punk/metal band has announced the addition of ex-Gates of Winter drummer Jonathan Harvey to their current lineup, replacing Mike Vincent. All the band said regarding Mike's departure is "just that sometimes things weren't meant to be", though they guaranteed there was no bad blood. Disappointing to see Mike out, as he is a talented musician that hasn't been on stage in far too long, but hopefully he turns up in a new band soon! Jon's addition is very surprising, though not bad news at all, as Gates of Winter fans will surely remember his excellent drum skill from the "Lux Aeterna" album and preceding shows! The move also reunites Jon with his former Faithless Sin bandmate Ryan Gratton, as the two played together during that band's brief 2010 comeback. In case some readers see this as an April Fools joke, this should fan those flames, as Chronic Demonic also posted this jam session video on their Facebook page!
Our first video glimpse at Chronic Demonic since their one song preview at The Rosie last summer (back when Sabrina Strange & Rick White were still members), it's just 35 seconds long, and at least on a first listen, this reminds me of a Frightlight-esque band with death growling. Of course, it's too early to know whether Chronic Demonic will vary their sound or stray close to this preview video, but fans should be excited, so check it out below, and get more updates at the above links!
Next up, we have new live video footage of local/St. Catharines death metal trio Shit Liver in concert! (Recent page updates indicate that they're now based out of St. Catharines rather than Toronto.) Filmed at a hardcore show there on March 20th (likely by attendee Hayley Smash again), this is of the guys playing their originals "Pennotration" and "Shift Liver", and it was just uploaded to their YouTube channel on Sunday, marking their first concert video upload there in 3 years. Their brutality and usual mayhem are on display here from a solid close camera angle, but the audio is somewhat scratchy. Definitely worth checking out though, so give it a look below, and stay tuned for updates as we approach their album release on the 20th!
Finally for this post, here's six assorted shorter news stories from the last little while, and as usual, these are in alphabetical order by artist or station name:
- Former Bring The Fallen guitarist Dan Souliere is looking to play in a local death metal band again, as per his post on the Musicians Wanted Facebook group on Monday. No other details were specified, though there is already demand on the post, including a post from B.T.F. bandmate Travis St. Amour saying "May 20". Speculate away if you want on that date, but if you're interested in joining or jamming with Dan in a new project, message him at this link!
- If you've noticed a new Danger Cats video on their YouTube channel recently, that's not entirely new, as it's a re-post from footage I shot at the Late & Loud reunion show in February. Frontwoman Kate Kougar had asked if I could send her videos I took of their sets for their channel, and I was happy to oblige, so keep that in mind before wondering why we didn't plug the "new" videos. Look for more I shot of them there soon!
- Local cover rock veterans Havadder will join The Suicide Kings and the reunited Wishbone among the local contingent at this year's Rock N' Roar Battle of the Bands in Spanish on Saturday, as per their Facebook page last weekend! Havadder's 2012 lineup finished fifth in that year's battle, so can frontman Jason Roy and the new lineup find the same success, or greater? Click here for the full schedule & prize details, and best of luck to the local bands, as all 3 could open for Randy Bachman in August!
- Recent posts on their Facebook page indicate that local punk/metal quintet Jack Spades will indeed be hosting an EP release party for their debut disc in the coming weeks, possibly this month. One would assume it'd be tied to a concert, but further details (including the venue) are not out yet, while they've also hinted that they may be playing the upcoming Spiderfest concert event in Meyersburg, Ontario in July. Big news abounds as they continue to jack the planet, so stay tuned for more!
- Sault Michigan rock radio station Rock 101 is finally revamping their official website, according to the current page's title, and that it only links to online streams at present. Rock 101's website had the same look and layout since at least 2004, and it was honestly really showing it's age (especially in terms of updating it), but stay tuned for when the new Rock 101 website debuts, and listen in at 101.3 FM!
- I have again deleted Sabrina Strange Productions from our Other Sault Ontario Metal Links section due to it's removal from Facebook, though this time, it's not tied to her personal channel's deactiviation. Disappointing, but she has talent and ambition, and hopefully she keeps at her music goals!
That's all for now, but stay tuned for this month's "Where Are The New Albums?" post tonight! Thanks everyone!