The Bear Hunters released their single "Collapse The Sun" on CD format on Thursday, and you can now buy copies of it for just $2 (and tickets to their "Eternal Hibernation" release concert at The Canadian Nightclub on November 29th) at The Rad Zone and through band members! The single features the final studio copy of the title song plus a live version and a 2011 instrumental demo of it, and there are currently just 50 copies of the single pressed, though pending demand, 50 more can be made (but the band are capping the limited run at 100.) This is the full final artwork, as posted on their Facebook page on Thursday, so make use of it if you need it on iTunes or a similar player! A planned lyric video is still in the works, while you can of course hear the full album at month's end upon it's release. I have yet to pick up the "Collapse The Sun" single, but it's great to finally see it out, and it's a positive sign for the pending full CD launch! Stay tuned for updates, and get your copy of "Collapse The Sun" A.S.A.P. for $2!
Next up, Audiofumes podcast host/creator and local solo guitarist Mike Cliffe has posted some new videos onto his YouTube channel in past couple of months, including this test collaborative online jam clip in August (solid listen), and most recently, this play-along video of him covering Robin Trowe's "Little Bit of Sympathy"! Though the camera angle's a little tight, Mike handles this classic rock number with ease, and at times, you do forget that he's playing along with the original recording! Mike doesn't post solo videos as much as he used to, but give his newest video a look below, see more above, and check out his entertaining Audiofumes podcasts as well!
Finally for today, here's nine assorted shorter stories from the last little while, including a number of bands being moved to our inactive band links! As usual, these are in alphabetical order by artist name:
- We've moved Sault Michigan hard rock band All The Dirty Words In One to our inactive band links, as they've passed our one year inactivity threshhold, last updating their Facebook page in October 2013. This band was a work in progress, but had some promise via acoustic cover postings, and hopefully we hear more from Josh, Cody, and Dan in the future!
- While we await their first live concert since December, local country/punk favourites The Billy Bastards confirmed in a comment reply to new jam session photos on their Facebook page in September that they are working on new music. Is a fourth CD in the works, or are The Billys just preparing for their return to the stage? Stay tuned for more from their camp!
- In another inactive band note, we've moved prolific Sault Michigan guitarist Mike Libertoski's tech-metal solo project Galactic Alignment to our inactive band links due to a year's inactivity. Mike last uploaded their page in October 2013, though he's stayed active since in the cover rock band No Decision. Mike's an extremely talented guitarist, and hopefully we hear more from his solo original output in the coming months!
- We've removed local death metal solo project Gorrifier from our band links due to the deletion of their Reverbnation (and only online) page for unannounced reasons. Led by Pillory/Crimson Crusade guitarist Robert Sartini, Gorrifier joins other recent page deletions for his and Shadowthrone bandmate Sabrina Strange's 2014 band projects, but hopefully everything's alright, and that we hear from both again soon!
- Local alternative/grunge quartet Haggith have been confirmed as the new openers for The Bear Hunters' CD release show at The Canadian Nightclub, replacing Destroilet in the 10:00 PM timeslot. Not a perfect match genre-wise, but Haggith's talent speaks for itself, and they'll have songs to play from their own upcoming CDs, so come early to see them! Remember, this is ALL AGES!
- We've moved local hard rock quintet Sailor's Tongue to our inactive band links due to a year's inactivity. The band last played live at last July's Rotaryfest Second Stage, and have not made a public posting in the year+ since, though it should be noted that members Kyle & Dean McKey currently live out of town. It's possible the band is just quietly songwriting, so we'll restore them to the active links if we hear that they're alive, but if not, best of luck to Kyle, Blake, Liam, Jeff, and Dean in the future!
- We've also moved ex-Late & Loud frontman Jonathan Tiberi's Soviet Space Program solo project to our inactive band links due to a year's inactivity, last updating their Facebook page in October when he teased new recording sessions. Jon has stayed musically active since moving out of town, so hopefully we hear more music from him in some form in the near future!
- The full Toystock schedule has been announced via the annual Christmas Cheer fundraising concert's new Facebook event page, and it's near identical to the given order on SooToday's press release, just with The Stumpy Coldwater Trio bumped from the co-headlining slot to opening the day at 12:00 PM. See above for the full schedule for at The Canadian on November 30th, including the confirmation of afternoon performer Lorrie Bolduc's band's full name, Lorrie Lynn & The Sinners!
- The Rednecks Saloon's live band karaoke series Urawk (which featured 3/4ths of Beaumont Avenue and Havadder' T.J. Case as the house band) will end it's 4+ month run this Thursday, as per it's Facebook event page. A reason for the series' end wasn't announced other than to say "all good things must come to an end", so if you want to take the stage to sing with a real band one more time, come out to the former Nicolet on Thursday!
That's all for today, but stay tuned for this month's Defunct Local Band Profiles next! Thanks everyone!