Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Necropolis Concert Preview, Plus New Stillbroke Songs, & More!!!

EDIT (July 15th, 10:00 PM): This post had previously included a preview for the planned July 15th concert at The Canadian featuring Dreadnaut and The Fury, which was CANCELLED. Because of that, I have removed it's preview from this post cause the show never happened. Check the post immediately above for details!

So how's everyone doing? Good, I hope? Well, here's your local concert preview for the show taking place on Thursday night! And if I find any happening this weekend, I'll preview them later in the week too, but I haven't heard that there will be any yet. Stay tuned afterwards for news on some new Stillbroke songs, a request for help confirming a concert on July 22nd, and a cool archive of old concerts I found online!

On Thursday night, local metal band Necropolis return to the stage, as one of the many bands on a punk show! They're among the supporting acts for Newfoundland punk band The Class War Kids! They're alright for punk, but what do you think? Check them out on MySpace! Also among the lineup: Toronto classical/punk outfit RedD Monkey (who headlined another Necropolis show from May), as well as locals The Fury and Free Beer! But here's something that may interest you guys as well: Inactive local alt-rockers Smeltzer (featuring ex-Gates of Winter drummer Kevin Overton) are reuniting for one night only at this show! I know some of you out there were fans, so why not go check them out, if nothing else? They're not metal, but they did have a big following around here!

This show will take place tomorrow night at 6:30 PM at The Oddfellows Hall, with admission being just $5! Fore more information, visit the official Facebook event page! As for Necropolis, if you've seen them at their many local shows this year, you'll know what to expect: Metal, and lots of it! I don't have a MySpace page or anything to show you guys yet (one day maybe?), but believe me, they're very good! I know it's old, but for a preview, here's a video of Necropolis playing the song "Night Riders" from the YMCA Battle of the Bands!



Now, I have some big news from the Stillbroke front: They've uploaded two more new studio quality songs to their official MySpace page! One's the title track for their upcoming EP, "Never Enough", while the other is a ballad-like song entitled "Forget"! The band's official MySpace blog says this (and "No Reason" from yesterday) is all they're gonna post online until the EP is actually released. I'll personally hold my judgment until I have a copy of the EP to review, but the songs are good! Check them out for yourself on MySpace, and stay tuned for news on the release of "Never Enough"! Also, they've mentioned that photos from their newest photo shoot will be online soon as well! Thanks to Laurie Frigault for the information!

Next, I wanted to ask you guys for some help confirming a concert scheduled for July 22nd. From my internet searching, I had enough info to list a concert that day at The Oddfellows Hall, featuring some out of town bands. Windsor death metal group Constructed Apocalypse list the show on their MySpace page, and that they'd be playing with Montreal hardcore band Breaking The Fourth Wall. Their Myspace page lists the same show, without mentioning Constructed Apocalypse, but it does say they'd be playing with Belle River hardcore band I Am The Vine at the show. Their MySpace page doesn't even list the show, and with little details from the other bands who list it, this all leaves me with some doubt.

Add to all this that I haven't heard anything on Facebook about it, or anywhere else, just the two bands' concert listings, so I have no fucking idea if this show is even on or not. Can someone help confirm or deny this show for me? If someone can, that'd be great! It sounds like a good show, if it's even going on!

And finally, I found something really interesting online the other day! You know how I like to look up local metal and hard rock things from the past, right? Well, I found what may be the closest thing on the internet to a true archive of Sault-area concert dates! By running a concert listings search on the Jam! Music section of Canoe.ca, you can find archived concert dates for many Canadian cities, including Sault Ste. Marie! When I searched for Sault Ste. Marie concerts, I came up with hundreds of past shows dating back to 1998!

Though not completely metal by any means, there's plenty of old metal shows listed, all including the headlining band, date, and venue! It's cool to check out and see all the shows that have came here in the past decade (I never knew Nashville Pussy, Himsa, and Priestess all came here, for example!) I'll have to sit down and really look through this, there might be some hidden local bands I have yet to feature on the SMS listed there! This really is something else to see, it may even take you back to the days when Foggy Notions wasn't closed and Club Princess was still rocking! I took the liberty of linking my search in the SMS for you guys, so just click here to see all the past dates! And I also put this in the Other Local Metal Links! Go check this out, trust me on this one!

That's all for today, keep on the lookout for more local metal news and updates as I hear them!

No comments: