Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Lots of Assorted News, And A New SMS Feature!!!

It's random news time! Nothing major to report today, but there's a lot of items to mention, so here we go!

During one of my Internet browsing sessions, I came across another defunct local metal band! They were The Jesters, a band which featured Jesse Frigault and Sam DeDominicis from Stillbroke, and (if I'm not mistaken), Lorax and ex-As It Stands bassist Nathan Bouliane! There's not a lot left on their official Facebook group, but there's 19 different photos, and a video clip (which sadly lacks audio) from a performance outside of the former Jesse's Music at Market Mall! Though there's no audio on the page, I bet they were very good, as Stillbroke are today! To find out more about The Jesters, visit this location! And they're now in the Local Metal Band Links on the left hand side of the page!

Next up, there's two more bands looking to play in Sault Ontario, that need YOUR HELP! One is Sudbury death metal band Catharcyst, who've amazingly never played here before! Frontman Paul Cipriani contacted me on Facebook for help, and hopefully one of you guys out there can lend them a hand! As well, I heard from Mike Alexander of Winnipeg death metal band Putrescence, who are also looking to play here around September 11th. They're really good, as are Catharcyst, and it'd be awesome to see them in the area. But can you help? If you think you can help them get a booking, click on their names to give them a shout!

Now, I have an update on the now-defunct local hardcore band, As It Stands! Even past their demise, their MySpace page has been updated! Now, it says "Thanks everyone for the support" beside their picture, while former singer Justin Pregent has been re-added to the band's credits (After all, this is how we remember the band.) They also posted a studio quality original there, named "Three Rounds With Brock Lesnar", which was called "Head Ache" when featured on Big Voiced Records' MySpace page. I've updated the Free CD Giveaway info and liner notes to reflect the actual name of it! Check it all out at this link!

Alright, now I've got an update on the new album from local "blue Chinese metal crash punk" band Sykotyk Rampage! They've announced the title of their upcoming twenty-second album, appropriately entitled, 22! The album cover has also been posted online, as you can see! Recording for the album is ongoing, once I hear more updates, you'll see them here! Remember, to check out their dozens of original songs, visit their official Soundclick page, and prepare yourself for some very original hard rock! Thanks to guitarist Dirk Becker for posting the info on Facebook!

And finally, I have an announcement to make: Starting this month, I will begin regularly reviewing CDs and EPs of local metal bands on The Sault Metal Scene! I'd been contemplating going back and doing reviews of older albums for a while, and I figure now's as good a time as ever! I'll try and keep to a "one album a month" schedule, so I don't run out of material to cover.

I'll promise to own a physical copy of the CD wherever possible, but if I can't find it to purchase, I'll only download the album with the complete intent that I would pay for it if I had access to the real CD! This month, I'll review the debut self-titled EP from Gates of Winter, released in 2005! More will follow, including releases from Sault Michigan bands! So keep on the lookout for more official SMS album reviews!

That's all for today, stay tuned for more local metal news as I hear it!

No comments: