Sunday, November 22, 2009

Tym Morrison Concert Review!!!

Morning everyone! Last night, I hit The Bottom's Up Lounge to check out Tym Morrison's acoustic solo show! Here's my review!

Well, to start, it was great seeing Tym live again, it's been years since I last saw Caveman Morrison, too long in fact! I got in a touch late, but he made up for it by playing close to 3 hours, which was cool! Tym played a wide variety of songs, which were equal parts metal classics and equal parts generally known songs of other genres! He played songs from bands like Metallica, Living Colour, The Stone Temple Pilots, Kiss, Tesla, Night Ranger, and Bon Jovi, but he also did stuff you might not expect, like Johnny Cash, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Van Morrison, The Who, and Simon and Garfunkel, among many others! Tym pulled off each song really well, even the ones that could have been slightly compromised by a cold he said he was fighting. Aside from some scattered coughing and his use of a spray, it wasn't visible at all!

His guitar work was awesome, he was doing some impressive stuff on the acoustic guitar, I just missed the solos on certain songs. I found that, cold or no cold, Tym's a better singer now than he was on his solo CD! He admitted to us that he may have trouble on songs like "Love Song" by Tesla, but he pulled it off, never sounding strained! Also, remember how he was hyping his new pedal that would let him do three part vocal harmony? It works really well, if you weren't looking, you'd assume there were three guys singing! I've always been a fan of Tym musically, and even though I prefer his heavy metal plugged in stuff, I liked seeing Tym play a more intimate set. Plus, he came and talked to me and my friend Mike for a good portion of his first break, which was awesome! Very nice and humble, take the time to say hi to him if you see him live!

Overall, it was a fun way to spend an evening, even if it wasn't as "heavy" as a Caveman Morrison show typically is. For what this was, all I could ask for different was more metal songs and a more interested crowd. Very few people were there specifically to see Tym Morrison, though it was fun seeing some girls from a drinking get-together dance up front while he played "Brown Eyed Girl"! I recommend seeing Tym Morrison live if you wanna check out some good music and have a drink or two! Good singing, good guitar, it is what it is, and it's well worth attending! Hopefully you'll all hit the Caveman Morrison show on December 11th! And check out my photos from the concert at The Sault Metal Scene's Facebook page!

And finally for now, a HUGE thanks to Half Past bassist Arthur Lacasse for hooking me up with a copy of "Innocent As Hell" from Amethyst! And it's autographed by the band, no less! That's way too nice of him, thanks to Arthur again! I'll add this to the review schedule for 2010 or 2011, and I'll likely post the album on YouTube at some point as well! Gotta spread these songs to the world, they've been unheard by the masses for too long! On first listen, I like what I hear! So there's another local CD off my want list...does anyone have "Kill The Music, Save The Children" by As It Stands?!!?! That's all for now, news and updates shall return soon!

No comments: