Caveman Morrison frontman Tym Morrison has announced his next slate of solo acoustic gigs/hosted jam nights at The Harp Pub & Grill! Now, I will preface this by saying that the calendar on his official website currently lists a consistent Friday night schedule for him at The Harp with no off weeks through February 2028. It seems very unlikely for Tym to be tied up on Fridays for the next 14 years no matter how well this weekly arrangement is going, so at least for now, I'm going to assume this is an error, and we'll approach these shows a month at a time until there's extra clarification. What we do know is that Tym's weekly unplugged shows will continue at the former Madison's Pub this month, and we'll start with shows TOMORROW NIGHT, next Friday, on Saturday the 22nd (postponed to accommodate Glitch's headlining show that Friday), and on Friday the 28th, so keep at least these ones in mind before we touch on the next 161 months! Apologies too for the short notice on tomorrow's show, I only just learned of them yesterday.
Like usual, Tym's Harp shows this month have no announced cover charge, 19+ age limits, and 10:00 PM start times. For more details, visit the above links! It's nice to see Tym back at The Harp again, and by all accounts that I've read, this is a successful relationship, but we'll have to see how long it does indeed go, and don't miss Tym Morrison (or the integrated jam night) TOMORROW! For a preview, here's Tym live at The Service Grill in 2011!
Next up for late notice weekend concert announcements, Sault Ontario classic hard rock quintet That's Chester will return to The Rockstar Bar THIS SATURDAY NIGHT! Apologies for the short notice, the band only just announced this show on Tuesday. Coming two weeks after the band's first appearance at this venue since 2011, this will be the first show of any kind for frontman Greg Simpson since his recent wedding and honeymoon, so help him celebrate in style with this popular cover band and their diverse setlist and talent! No word on why this is a one-nighter, but for what it's worth, the called-off Late & Loud show was scheduled for tomorrow. Admission should be $5 for this 19+ event, and a 10:30 PM start time is in effect. For more details, visit the official Facebook event page! Sounds like another good time for this well regarded party hard rock band, so keep it in mind for THIS SATURDAY, and for a preview, here's the guys covering Jet at Docks!
Finally for today, here's six more assorted shorter stories from the last while, and as usual, these are in alphabetical order by artist or venue name:
- New photos of both local all-female hard rockers The Danger Cats (from their recent Docks shows) and Toronto-based Joan Jett/Ramones tribute band The Merves (from their January show at The Rockstar Bar) are now online via photographer Jeff McKersie's website, and they're very nice in quality, so check them out at this link! Note however that only the shots of The Danger Cats' Kate Kougar and Paula Panther are in colour.
- Local hardcore/punk quintet Destroilet will be apparently be making a cameo of sorts in the upcoming seasons of Trailer Park Boys on Netflix, as according to their Facebook page yesterday, cast members will be wearing Destroilet t-shirts on occasion! I'm not sure how that came about, but it should be great exposure from curious fans out of town, so keep an eye out later this year!
- The upcoming Fuck The Facts-headlined concert on May 4th is likely being moved to a different venue, apparently due to a major cost hike for rentals of The Oddfellows Hall. Promoter Tyler St. Amour mentioned the idea of hosting it at The Grand Theater (where Fuck The Facts headlined in the fall of 2008) on the Facebook event page, but nothing is official yet. We'll keep you guys posted!
- Smeltzer alum Paul Stanghetta is now focusing his member search for his new heavy band Keep It Lit to a drummer, more specifically, someone "awesome & fresh" that has the skills to do Every Time I Die or Holly Springs Disaster-calibre songs. Unlike before, Paul didn't cite a gender preference, but if you're interested in trying out, message him at this link or via his Musicians Wanted Facebook group post (as Puablos Stancu) from Friday!
- Here's a note that we haven't touched on from our newest "Where Are The New Albums?" post: Local goregrind duo Rotopsy have uploaded a new solo bass instrumental track to their Reverbnation page! Yet untitled, it's not badly written, but obviously incomplete without vocals. Look for the complete titled song on their upcoming solo demo, and stay tuned for updates!
- Moran, Michigan bar & concert venue Todd's Tavern apparently closed last September, as per posts on their Facebook group that month. Owner Todd St. Andrew said that "we gave it a shot but it just didn't work", though the reason for the closure wasn't elaborated on further there. Previously known as Bullwinkle's Bar & Grill, Todd's Tavern ran from May 2012 through last fall, and was a favourite concert venue for regional hard rockers Banned during that time. Disappointing for area fans, but best of luck to all of the staff, and Todd's is now in our Other Sault Michigan Links!
That's all for today, but stay tuned for more news soon, including the potential for more weekend concert previews with a late notice tomorrow! Thanks everyone!