Prolific local solo hard rock singer/guitarist Tym Morrison will continue his long-term weekly run at Gliss Steak & Seafood with a one-nighter at the downtown restaurant THIS SATURDAY NIGHT! Playing only on the Saturday rather than on Thursdsay & Friday too for the second straight week, one can presume that the holiday is partially to blame for the cutdown, but note that Gliss and it's host hotel, The Quality Inn, are holding a big New Year's party tonight with performers Paul DellaVedova & Catherine Taddo, so that's at least partially to blame for Tym's one nighter this week. As well, with a new month upon us, we have added Tym's Gliss shows for the rest of January to our concert listings (we're still taking things a month at a time given his lengthy schedule there), so look for his diverse hard rock covers at Gliss from January 7th-9th, 14th-16th, 21st-23rd, and 28th-30th, adding up to twelve more Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nighters this month!
As usual, these are confirmed via his website's calendar, and Facebook confirmation will presumably follow closer to each weekend. All of this month's shows (Saturday's included) are 6:00 PM matinees with no announced cover charge or age limit, but remember, he is playing at a restaurant. For more details, visit the above links, and consider a trip downtown to Gliss to see Tym live to kick off 2016 on Saturday! For a preview, here's Tym Morrison rocking an acoustic cover live!
Next up, here's the latest episode of Local2's stripped down music performance series Bare, as uploaded to their YouTube channel last week, and this episode is actually of Toronto punk trio The Fairmounts (featuring prolific local punk musician Mikey Hawdon on vocals & guitar) playing their song "Common Sense"! While The Fairmounts proper haven't played a public concert in the Soo in a couple of years, Mikey and guitarist Simon Head joined forces for this Bare episode earlier this year, and it's interesting to hear it in a casual & more unplugged fashion, almost having a country twang in this form! For reference, this is far from the first Bare episode focusing on an out of town band, but it's the first that visibly fits the genres we cover on the SMS. As well, a recent Bare episode is of Mikey's former Inner City Surfers bandmates Brad Example & Dave Bahun playing Brad's solo original "Little Bird", which isn't a punk song, but works as a softer rock number! Check out much more from the Bare webseries above and below!
Finally for today, here's six assorted shorter items from the last while, and as usual, these are in alphabetical order by band or company name:
- According to their Facebook page on Monday, local doom metal trio AlgomA will apparently release a split CD with Finnish death/doom metal quartet Hooded Menace at some point next year! Hooded Menace confirmed the news on their own Facebook page, and the split will be released by Doomentia Records with art by the well-regarded Paolo Girardi. No word on if this means anything negative for the status of the yet-released AlgomA split with Chronobot (which hasn't been publically acknowledged in months), but this new split sounds like a huge deal, so stay tuned for more!
- In their first Facebook page post in two months, local rap/rock project The Apocalypse Afterparty revealed last week that their forthcoming debut EP will have the curious name "Bufflesnort", and they hope to be playing live again in the spring, noting that they've been "just grinding" recently. No word on who their new drummer is yet, but it's good to see that things are progressing in their camp! Keep posted above for further updates!
- Local vintage music store Rockin' Vinyl Records relocated from Northland Road to a formal storefront at 352 Wellington Street West (near the Carmen's Way underpass) last month, and was featured in a Local2 spotlight video on December 5th! The video features Jasmyn Rowley interviewing owner Steve Roberts about what you can find in store, why Steve moved out of his home into a bigger location, why he thinks vinyl records are making a comeback, where he finds store stock, and why people should have vinyl records. It's good to see Rockin' Vinyl Records expanding and finding success, so be sure to check out the "new" shop!
- On Christmas, local alternative/blues rock quartet Sykotyk Rampage released their newest free "album" entitled "Zombies 2: The Devil's Taint - Acoustic Sessions" to their Reverbnation page, which is their 55th official album (at least), and a sequel to 2011's "Zombiez", albeit unplugged like at their Zombie Walk appearances in October. Interesting listen, especially for the acoustic and zombified re-recordings of some established favourites, so check everything out above!
- Recently dormant local grind/thrash band Them have brought original bassist Rainey Vincent back to the band (replacing his ex-Revolution bandmate Austin McCrae for unannounced reasons), as per their Facebook page last month, while also promoting Strange Coyotes alum Chase Wigmore (a prior live-only member) to full vocal & guitar duties. Nice to see Rainey and Chase back in the fold full-time, but hopefully nothing bad happened with Austin, and stay tuned for much more from Them in 2016!
- We have moved local classic/hard rock cover quintet The Thrill Junkies to our inactive band links due to a year's inactivity. Though their Facebook page posted a Merry Christmas message last week, the Turner Up successors have not issued a formal public update since plugging their last concert at The Rockstar Bar on December 13th, 2014. The Thrill Junkies were talented, and it's surprising that they didn't have more of a live presence, but hopefully they return at some point, and best of luck to Travis, Jason, Robert, Justin, and Rick in the future!
That's all for today, but stay tuned for much more news and notes as 2016 unfolds! Thanks everyone, and Happy New Year once again!