Thursday, March 4, 2010

LOCAL CONCERT ALERTS (Tym & Caveman Morrison And Keep The Faith) And Some Show Updates!

I'M HOME!!!! I caught a cold, but other than that, I'm glad to be home, where I can get back to normal SMS habits and update you all normally! I'm going to split up the stories I've missed during my slow Detroit computer spell to spread everything out. That being said, I'll start today with not one, not two, but THREE LOCAL CONCERT ALERTS!!!

Another great tribute band is hitting Sault Ontario this month, as Keep The Faith: The Quintessential Canadian Tribute to Bon Jovi will be in town one week from Saturday! And yes, I know some may not see Bon Jovi as "metal", but before they commercialized their sound in the 1990s, they were one of the biggest hair metal bands going, so they do count for SMS coverage! That being said, Keep The Faith will bring an authentic Bon Jovi experience to The Canadian Nightclub on March 13th! Tickets cost $5 in advance starting tomorrow at The Canadian, or $8 at the door for this concert, which has a listed start time of 10:00 PM. Get full details at the Facebook event page! Now I am admittedly not a Bon Jovi fan, but when I checked out Keep The Faith's Facebook group, I was impressed by how faithful they are to the Bon Jovi sound and look! So if you're a Bon Jovi fan, keep this concert in mind!

Next up, Caveman Morrison frontman Tym Morrison has scheduled another solo acoustic show, this one on March 12th at Coch's Corner! This will be Tym's first show there since his late-notice set at the Algoma Hope4Haiti benefit, and it will definitely be worth checking out! Tym's solo shows always impress, and if you wanna chill out to some mellower acoustic covers of your favourite rock and metal songs, this is a great way to do it! Admission is free, as is usually the case at Coch's Corner, and a start time of 10:00 PM is given at the Facebook event page for this show! Should be a good show, and if you can't make it out, don't worry, Tym will play a solo set the next night at The Bottoms Up Lounge too, so you have other options!

Now you may ask yourself, why did I discuss the later show first? Simple, because the Tym Morrison show goes hand in hand with my final new concert for tonight, also taking place this month! Caveman Morrison will also be playing at Coch's Corner this month, headlining there during the March 26th weekend! I know for sure they are playing there on the Friday and Saturday (March 26th and 27th), but the Facebook event page suggests that they could be playing on Sunday, March 28th as well (as it does say "All Weekend Long".) That seems unlikely though, so I'll just list March 26th-27th for the performing dates for now. Again, these should be great shows, the metalhead in me would love to head down there to check out some great heavy metal covers, maybe I'll go! No matter what though, fans of Tym/Caveman Morrison have a lot of live music to enjoy this month!

Closing today's post are two metal lineups that have been recently looking for a booking here: One who still is, and one who may be changing their plan. Firstly, remember on Tuesday when I mentioned that Alaskan and Killing Queens were looking to play here on May 17th? Well, it looks like they got the booking....maybe. Steve Smith from Killing Queens said that the band got a booking at The Rockstar Bar, which is awesome! However, in a thread on The705Scene forums, Steve may be looking to switch venues due to some recommendations on the thread that The Rockstar Bar may not be the best venue. I have no problems with The Rockstar Bar, never have, but I have heard about people getting some bad treatment. I can't back that up, or prove if it's widespread, all I know is I like it there, for what that's worth! So Steve is open to suggestions about moving it, I'll let you know if there's a change! I won't confirm this as a concert until the band (or a local venue) makes an official concert announcement!

Speaking of bands that potentially could play here, there's a couple of other bands that wanna hit Sault Ontario in May themselves! A pair of Calgary-area grindcore bands, Rape Revenge and Lab Rat (pictured), are hoping to play an all ages show in Sault Ontario on May 19th. Matt Elbows from Lab Rat posted a topic on The705Scene looking for help in making this show possible, and I'll do my part to help! Lab Rat are a solid hardcore band, fast short songs that are quite moshable, while Rape Revenge are a self described "feminist, straight edge, vegetarian grindcore band" with three female members, so they automatically stand out! Musically though, very good for grindcore, the moshing would be constant and high energy, I reckon! If you're interested in booking Rape Revenge and Lab Rat for a concert in Sault Ontario on May 19th, contact either band on their MySpace pages by clicking their names! It'd be cool to have another grind/hardcore all ages show, you know how few of those we get nowadays? The scene's getting older and moving into bars, what is there for the younger metalheads? Best of luck in them getting a venue, I'll update you guys if they do!

I like to spread news out so that nothing gets overlooked in the middle of a post, so I made sure to discuss upcoming concerts and potential ones today by themselves. Tomorrow, I will update you guys on The Bear, Silver Dream, the Pop Evil show from this past Saturday, Bring The Fallen, and anything else that I come across by tomorrow! Above all else, it's great to be home, I'm glad to be back doing SMS stuff regularly, and there's lots of stuff on the horizon, so stay tuned! Thanks everyone!

No comments: