Thursday, January 7, 2010

Another Local Metal Video Showcase, And A New SMS Feature!

Hey guys, it's time to dig into the YouTube database for some more local metal videos that are worth sharing! Plus, I have a new monthly feature I'd like to share my plans for with you guys at the end, so let's start this fun post off with a bang!

As you know, I'm always on the lookout for new videos from local metal bands, concerts, and events, and I've found some good ones lately! First, we have a clip that comes courtesy of YouTube user Buzz155 (who is NOT the Buzz from Garden of Bedlam.) He was kind enough to record this from the radio last month: Actual audio of "Cocaine Crazy" by Lion Ride being played on Rock 101! This was recorded off of "Scott and Brian in the Morning" not long after the Kiss Battle of the Bands concluded, and it really is cool to hear a local band get aired on Rock 101! One pet peeve I always have with local radio stations is that they don't air local bands enough, so seeing this is just awesome! They even talk about the friendship between Garden of Bedlam and Lion Ride and some of the negative reaction from certain people concerning Lion Ride's loss, and hyped the Kiss show that (as we all know) would eventually be postponed. Still, great clip, hopefully Lion Ride get played more on Rock 101, they deserve it! Check out the audio below!



While we're on the subject of videos from Buzz155, I have another clip to show you guys, this time from a band he was in! This comes from a variety night concert at Bawating Collegiate & Vocational School in 2003. This band, name unknown, played Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" & two Metallica covers, "Nothing Else Matters" & "Whiskey In The Jar" (Click on the names to check them out!) Buzz155 is very critical of the performance on the video descriptions, but the guitarist has promise, and the singer wasn't horrible in my opinion! I was at Bawating in 2003, but I don't recall ever seeing these guys. My buddy tells me that the band included Matt Hicks from Silver Dream, Jason Radford, Mike McClary, and Kevin Boissineau (Buzz155?), but more proof would be nice. Check this out, this is their cover of Paranoid, plus an extended guitar solo, if you have any extra info on this band, hit me a line!



Third video to show tonight comes from last month's Detroit CD release party at Coch's Corner, though not of Detroit. Openers Destroilet have launched their very own YouTube channel, and have uploaded two full song clips from their set at the show! Much better in length and quality than the one I shot! The clips are covers of "Murder For The Mission" by GG Allin and "Tennessee Driver" by Hank Williams III, both of which are quality punk songs, with a heavy edge to them as well! Great to see more video of these guys online, they have loads of promise, can't wait to hear their EP! Click on each song's name to check out their video! I'll link you to one of the videos, so here's Destroilet covering "Tennessee Driver"!



Next, another clip from another recent local metal concert! On December 12th, Caveman Morrison hit The Rockstar Bar for a night full of great covers, and there was someone there to take video! YouTube user Canadianchic29 was at that show, and shot video of Caveman Morrison covering the Metallica classic "Seek and Destroy"! Great cover as usual, I like how Tym throws in some falsettos in the chorus, gives it a bit of a new flavour! But what's also notable about this video is that it's widescreen! This may be the first local metal concert video on YouTube that's in HD, nice quality too! Though I do question why the video was filmed on it's side for part of it. Check it out below!



Normally, I stop at 4 videos in these video posts, but seeing as one has no moving images and another is smaller cause it's HD, I will treat you guys to a fifth! This is a clip from New Years Eve at Cozy Corners in Barbeau, in one of the last metal shows of last year, when Nixxon Dixxon rocked for one final time in 2009! It's a good quality video of the band covering the Metallica classic "Master of Puppets"! Sounds good, these guys have immense talent for their age, they'll be powerhouses before you know it! I think Brandon Carr is better suited to more melodic songs vocals-wise, but he does a good job, as does the rest of the band! Check it out immediately below, or more live clips from Nixxon Dixxon shows at myangels1266's YouTube channel!



And finally, just a heads-up on a new monthly feature I'd like to implement on the SMS. One thing people have asked me about for a while now is why I don't talk about bands that, though not locally based, feature a Saultite in their lineup. You know, bands like Phatstick, or the out of town bands that David Gold has drummed for. Well, I've been trying to think of ways to talk about them a bit on the SMS, to give you guys a look into what bands some of our own have joined outside of the Sault area, and what they've accomplished, and check out their stuff! I'm thinking of a monthly profile post, where I take a look at two or three metal bands from elsewhere in the world that feature a Saultite in some fashion. The SMS will always be dedicated to locally based bands first and foremost, but even I would like to see how far talent from here has gone, and what they've done, even if the band itself doesn't call the Soo home! Hit me back with some feedback, would you like to see this? If so, how would you like to see it work? And of course, what metal bands from out of town do you know of that have a Saultite?

That's what I have for today, more news and updates to come very soon, including a preview of Tuesday's Ultraviolence/Sense of Truth show, and hopefully lots more! Stay tuned!

No comments: