Friday, June 17, 2011

Dayglo Abortions/Metal Night #20 Review!!

Hey guys, it's time for my review of last night's 20th Roosevelt Hotel metal night, headlined by none other than The Dayglo Abortions! How'd it go? I'll tell you in today's review, so let's not waste any time! First things first though, I want to apologize to Shit Liver, as I regrettably got to The Rosie late and missed their entire set. Everything seemed to go wrong in the 9:00 hour in terms of trying to get there, and I'm really sorry. I'll make it up to you guys though! (Edited on June 18th at 6:44 PM)

So when I got to The Rosie (finally) last night, I was pleased to see a huge attendance (bigger than I've ever seen there), and luckily, tables near the stage were cleared out for the masses. Trust me, that was a good move! With Shit Liver already done, the first band I was able to see were local metal quartet Sativa Rose, who delivered another fun and high energy set of classic metal covers! Though I missed hearing their original "Fall From Grace", their assortment of covers ranging from Megadeth & Pantera to Iron Maiden & Motley Crue were well recieved! Patchcord issues for Adam Veale aside, the band were on fire all set long, especially from the blistering solos provided by Andrew Angelic & Anthony Orazietti! Their big flaw is still in the vocal department, but I did notice that on "Bellows of the Beast" and on their cover of "In My Darkest Hour" that, when given the right song, Adam & Andrew can sing in a fitting way! Also good to see Nik Deubel & Rich Moreland back to sing "Cowboys From Hell" with them, and before I forget, give Rich some huge kudos for booking this concert! Great set from Sativa Rose, hopefully they have some more exciting stuff on the horizon!

Next were newer local metal band Skull After Betrayal, who recently switched from a death metal to a hardcore style. How'd they sound last night though? There's good things there, but there's work to be done. Mike Vincent, though a talented guitarist, needs to shake things up vocally. Most of their songs saw him either talking or yelling in a low fashion. He's honestly more suited for death metal singing, but with practice, he'll get better! Adam Brett's bass work is improving too, but he's gotta play with more strings than we've seen from him. Justin Polutanovich and Anthony D'Agostini were really good though, they're nice fits! Though I missed hearing "One In The Chamber", Skull After Betrayal had lots of originals in store for fans that seemed to go over fairly well, though they'll get better with time. Their set capping cover of Slayer's "Bloodline" was really off timing-wise, but again, this should improve as they play more often. They have promise, they really do, but they just need some fine tuning and live experience, and before you know it, Skull After Betrayal will be rocking it with the best of them!

The last local band of the night was, in their Roosevelt Hotel debut, Frightlight! With all the classic makeup and stage decorations to set the mood, this talented quintet launched into another fun punk/metal set that I've missed over the past couple of months! Now seeing that many of the fans in attendance were Dayglo Abortions fans, you know that they'd be in for some high energy punk, and Frightlight brought it, and the best crowd reaction to that point of the night! My only major complaints for their performance are that Johnny Pints' vocals seemed to deteriorate later into the set (especially on "World War Z") and Rick Styles didn't play anything behind his head, which would have been awesome for this audience! Originals like "C.H.U.D.", "She Screams", and "Dead Town Anywhere" kept the crowd going and got some good pits started, while the Misfits and Fitswitch covers were also nice to hear! Great set from Frightlight, whose punk/metal mix is always bound to cause a horrorific good time, and hopefully they're back on stage again soon!

And finally, in their long awaited return, Canadian punk legends The Dayglo Abortions! Without any critique of their sound, I just want to say that the best and most insane moshpit that I've EVER seen at The Rosie was during their set! Holy shit, they were going at it really hard, and it was quite an atmosphere to be around! I'm admittedly not a Dayglo scholar, but I'm well aware and respectful of their status as punk and crossover thrash legends, and they brought an awesome set last night! The Cretin's riffing was loud and heavy, though his voice didn't stack up as well live as it had on studio albums. Very quiet compared to what I've heard, but he kept us entertained and eager for more! Willy Jak's bass work complimented everything well, and drummer Blind Mark (who really is blind) was impressive as a punk drummer, whether he can see or not! Though I know their lyrical content can be controversial, not a soul at The Rosie cared, as they were rocking too hard for us to pick it apart! So much aggression and attitude, and the band looked happy to be playing for such an animated crowd, so hopefully The Dayglo Abortions come back sooner rather than later! Amazing show and environment!

Again, huge kudos to Rich Moreland at Dismemebertainment for this concert, hopefully his next shows (at The Rosie or otherwise) go over huge like this one! I got photos of all of the bands I saw, so click here for my photo album, or visit our Facebook page! And here are my videos, of Sativa Rose covering Ozzy Osbourne's "Bark At The Moon", Skull After Betrayal's original "Dagger To The Heart", Frightlight's covers of The Misfits' "Halloween" and "We Are 138", and three songs from The Dayglo Abortions!









That's all for now, but I will see you guys at The Rockstar Bar TONIGHT for Garden of Bedlam! Thanks everyone!

No comments: