Tuesday, November 17, 2009

LOCAL CONCERT ALERT (Caveman Morrison), Rockstar Bar Updates, Woods IV Info, And More!!!

Greetings everyone! Let's kick this post off with, you guessed it, a LOCAL CONCERT ALERT!!!

It's been a long time coming for me to hear about shows from this band, but it's great to see! Caveman Morrison are back on the live scene! They'll be playing at the newly opened Rockstar Bar (located at The Algonquin Hotel) on December 11th and 12th! I presume both shows begin at 10:00 PM, no cover charge has been announced yet. These are the first Caveman shows I've been able to report on the SMS since their return, and not a moment too soon! As you may remember, Caveman Morrison are the metal cover band fronted by Tym Morrison, who you can catch at some local venues with his acoustic solo sets (including shows this weekend!) These will be the bands' first local shows (to my knowledge) in four months!

I haven't seen these guys in like, forever! Pencil me in as an attendee, I can't pass this up! Also will be nice to check out The Rockstar Bar, it sounds like a nice venue! Get more details on these shows at the Facebook event page! Also, a lineup change for Caveman Morrison, bassist Ryan Disano (ex-Time of Ruin) has left the band, and has been replaced at that position by Rick White, who you may also recognize as guitarist for bands like Frightlight and Fitswitch! For more up-to-date details on Caveman Morrison, visit their official Facebook group, or their official website!

Before I completely drift away from Rockstar Bar talk, their official website has been updated with more upcoming shows, and there's a couple things potentially worth mentioning. It lists a Boxing Day show featuring local hard rockers Half Past. The band has not confirmed this yet, so I won't call it as a concert yet. If confirmed, it will be their first show since Halloween at Coch's Corner, but let's wait for additional word. Also, a show called "Rock of Ages" is scheduled there on December 18th. All it says on the site is it will feature 3 bands playing the best of music from the 60s to 80s. No metal implications there, but if I hear any exciting word from that show either, I'll let you guys know! Either way, great to see them putting the "rock" in "Rockstar Bar"!

Next up, I believe copies of the new Woods of Ypres CD, "Woods IV: The Green Album" should be showing up in your mailboxes today! How do I know this? Because mine came in today!!!! The jewel case was cracked when I opened the package, I guess the bubble wrap failed in protecting it's metalness! No matter, I just swapped a new jewel case and all is well! First thoughts? Well, I'm actually surprised that the Necramyth CD, "Slaughter of the Seoul", was part of the overall packaging, I figured it'd come in a separate jewel case or in a different sleeve. But hey, having both combined outlines the specialness of it! Production quality is really high, especially on the CD labels! And kudos for including lyrics, now I can sing along without sounding like a tool!

Everything looks great, and on first listen, everything sounds great too! I won't talk too much about songs yet (leave that for the December 1st review), but I will confirm this: "Track 17" from Stereo Soul Studios' official website is actually track 15, "My Long Life, In The 'Limbo Union'"! As for the Necramyth bonus CD, I won't give a full review, but I'll share with you guys my thoughts and what to expect. Expect some really brutal death metal with hints of black metal! David Gold pounds the blast beats effectively, and aside from the intro track, it's one brutal relentless assault! Great freebie! Well played and perfect to mosh to! It'd be great to see Necramyth here if it were possible! Get the pre-order with the bonus disc while you still can, it's a good deal!

What to talk about next...oh yeah, Battle of the Bands updates! Just got some clarification on some things we haven't heard yet! The prizes have been announced, and the winning band will recieve $300 and the opportunity to open for Sault natives The Inner City Surfers (featuring Lion Ride frontman Mikey Hawdon on drums) at a show December 22nd, which will also be at The Speakeasy! The second place band will recieve $200, and third place will win $100! The prize money comes from the entrance fees paid by competing bands, so you could win your money back, and then some! The remaining $100 is going to charity! Also, doors for the battle will open at 6:30 PM, and bands will get to play three songs! Remember, there won't be metal bands on the bill unless YOU apply, so get on that! The talent's there, you just have to send an entry in! It's in exactly two weeks, on December 1st, so keep that in mind!

And finally for today, I've found even better video from Friday's Ace Frehley concert! It comes courtesy of Duane Roy, who's uploaded video clips from recent local shows under the online handle "WawaDuane" that I've previously featured on here! The clip below is of Ace Frehley playing his biggest solo hit, "New York Groove", at the show, and the quality's excellent! Duane also let me know that on his YouTube channel, he has a new video up from his trip to see Metallica in Grand Rapids! Also, Duane told me about a book he's written, entitled "Castle Stories: A Rock n' Roll Scrapbook", which documents concerts and the photos of them from concerts at the old Castle Farms in Charlevoix, Michigan! I know my uncle went there to see Ozzy Osbourne back in the day, I bet it's a great read! Thanks to Duane Roy for all this cool info, click the links above for more info, and here's his video of the Ace Frehley concert!



That's all for today, tomorrow I will unveil next month's new poll, and the results from this month's poll! If you think about stuff going on here in December, it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out the general theme! More news to come too, I'm gonna listen to "The Green Album", I'll see you guys tomorrow!

No comments: