Friday, February 26, 2010

SHORT NOTICE LOCAL CONCERT ALERT (Turner Up) And More Assorted News!!

Good morning everyone, this may be my last post before heading to Detroit, depends on if I'm at a concert tonight to need a review posted or not. We'll start with a VERY short notice LOCAL CONCERT ALERT!!!

According to a newly posted Facebook event page, local hard rock cover band Turner Up will be playing a normal concert set TONIGHT at Foggy Notions! Looks like this is their first non-jam night performance there since New Year's Eve, and will be their first full concert set since last weekend's Algoma Hope4Haiti set at The Algonquin Pub & Sports Bar! A start time of 10:00 PM is given, I'd expect a $2 cover charge at the door, as is standard at normal Foggy's concerts. Apparently they're back by popular demand, though I question it's short notice announcement, hopefully a good crowd comes in! I'll do my part though, so if you're not going to see Sense of Truth or Nixxon Dixxon tonight, you have a very good alternative! I'm tied up tonight for a concert I won't jinx myself by saying I'll go to, but you guys should head out there, it will be a fun night of your favourite rock songs! Confirm your attendance at this location, and even though the short notice isn't my fault, sorry it's a late announcement!

Next up, if what I see online isn't decieving me, it looks like Lion Ride may have a lineup change. According to their listed lineups on both MySpace and Facebook, bassist Brenton Ellis, a.k.a. Diamond Brent Panther, may have left the band. He's no longer listed as a member on them, and on Brent's Facebook page, the only bands he lists as ones he's a member of are Detroit, The Sexual Vigilantes, and The Labour Of. Odd, especially without a full band announcement, though one may be soon, I don't know. I never saw this coming, especially with the new pro quality photos from Donna Hopper that were just posted this month! Brent had been a member of Lion Ride since 2008 when he replaced Lionel Itchy, and he is a very good bassist, but something must be up. Also to note: The band now doesn't list who plays what instrument on the current lineup, which leads me to think that maybe they're becoming a four-piece with Marky Lion moving to bass (he plays bass in Detroit.) But that could be me reading into stuff too much. Either way, potentially disappointing news, and if there's an official announcement made about Lion Ride's lineup, I'll be sure to share it with you guys!

Ok, more positive news now, as Woods of Ypres have launched a new band page! It's on CBC Radio 3, which is also the host site for band pages from local metal acts like Sykotyk Rampage and Sue Inside! David Gold says that this could become the band's primary page as CBC Radio 3's site is fast, stable, and has better music quality than MySpace and YouTube! And on my first listen, though I don't like the auto-play of what is airing on CBC Radio 3 when you open a new page, I do agree, the sound is really good! However, CBC Radio 3 is not a widespread site for Canadian metal bands to use, it's definitely widespread for almost any other genre though! It's a nice site if you wanna search underground Canadian bands, and you can join with your band and add songs you like to personal playlists, all of which are cool features! We'll have to see what happens, but take a look at Woods of Ypres' CBC Radio 3 page at this location!

And now, updates from local hard rockers Half Past! Firstly, I notice that on Facebook, frontman Luke LeBlanc was leading a campaign for fans of the band to create a buzz for them on the Facebook page for Simmons Records, the record label owned by (who else) Gene Simmons from Kiss! I notice that a lot of locals have joined (hopefully to support Half Past), but no one's writing on the wall to create a buzz either, which is odd. Join Simmons Records' Facebook page at this location, and hype them up, make Gene and company take notice! Also, one more live video clip of Half Past's recent weekend set at Foggy Notions has been posted online, of their 10 Years cover, "Wasteland"! Thanks to drummer Chris Thompson for the upload, and it's ok if Luke's voice isn't at it's best, I won't judge!




And finally, I was browsing SooToday the other day, and I came across an article talking about the newest appointee to the Sault Ste. Marie Bridge Authority, the board that oversees operation of the International Bridge that connects the Twin Saults. Now why I would I mention this on the SMS? Simple, because the new appointee is Rock 101 DJ Brian Davie, who you'll likely recognize from his work on Scott and Brian In The Morning! According to the article, Brian hopes to use his media experience to promote and encourage the development of services that the bridge offers! It also mentions that Brian is the former executive director of the Easter U.P.'s Red Cross branch! Brian's a class act, and he'll be a great addition to the bridge authority! Great DJ too, he and Scott are how I spend my mornings heading to university! Click here to read this article, and congratulations Brian!

That's all for today, my next post will not be a review of TONIGHT'S Sense of Truth show! (Omit the not. Remember, reverse psychology!) Expect to see it, video, and photos tomorrow at some point, be it immediately after the show or after I get to Detroit! Hope the rest of the weekend's shows go well, rock out at Garden of Bedlam for me, support Kim and Kelsey's memories at the Pop Evil show, or go see Turner Up or Nixxon Dixxon tonight, just go have a great time this weekend!

No comments: