Thursday, June 10, 2010

Local Metal Concert Previews For This Weekend, Browbeat's Return, And More!!

Bit of a slow stretch for news, but I have some good stuff today, so here's what's today! Previews of this weekend's concerts, the return of a certain local band, plus some more assorted updates! So here's what you need to know for today!

Three local metal concerts to my knowledge this weekend, and we'll start in Sault Ontario for a concert that I'm sure will appeal to Bon Jovi fans! But before I go into details, I wanna clarify a contradiction in the latest issue of Sault This Week. In the Hot Spots section this week, the ad for The Canadian Nightclub says that the Bon Jovi tribute band playing there on Friday is named Bed of Roses. Now there IS a Bon Jovi tribute band from Winnipeg named Bed of Roses, but they are NOT the ones playing here tomorrow night. The info I reported to you guys on Friday is completely accurate, don't be confused by the ad in Sault This Week. The ads in the Hot Spots section can be susceptible to misinformation and typos, like with this one, though they're usually accurate!

As previously reported (with a verified source at their Facebook group), the Bon Jovi tribute band playing at The Canadian tomorrow night is Keep The Faith: The Quintessential Tribute To Bon Jovi, the same band that played there back in March! Fronted by Chris Newman, who looks and sounds just like Jon Bon Jovi, Keep The Faith will bring their authentic Bon Jovi sound and live show back here, and if you love Bon Jovi of any era of their history, you're bound to enjoy yourself tomorrow! There's no detailed information about the concert itself online, but going by the past track record of concerts at The Canadian, I'd imagine it will start at 10:00 PM (likely later), with a cover charge of $5 and a 19+ age limit. I heard good things about Keep The Faith's show here in March, and though I'm admittedly not a Bon Jovi fan, I recognize Keep The Faith's talent and musical ability, and I guarantee this will be something any fan of Bon Jovi won't wanna miss! For a preview, here's Keep The Faith performing the song they named themselves after and a Rolling Stones cover from a show last spring in Toronto!



(Before I get to the next preview, an e-mail by The Canadian's Mary Lou Johnson to members of their Facebook group yesterday was hyping a Alice Cooper tribute band as playing there next Friday. I've done some searching to try and figure out which one, because it wasn't stated in the e-mail, but I haven't been able to find out the specific one. If you know which Alice Cooper tribute band is playing here next weekend, so I can properly cover it on the SMS, e-mail me at robertfigures@hotmail.com!)

The other concerts this weekend come courtesy of Sault Michigan hard rockers Blind Baby, who will be at Cozy Corners Bar & Grill in Barbeau, Michigan (just outside of the Soo) for two shows this weekend, tomorrow night and Saturday night! All credit to frontman Tadd Gravelle for telling me about these shows, I wouldn't have heard about them otherwise! If you're up for a trip to Barbeau, get ready for some solid hard rock and some covers as well! Good band, though the samples I've heard don't do them justice, you'll have to check them out live! Nice groove, good singing, solid instrumentation, take my word for it! Now, Blind Baby doesn't update show listings, and Cozy Corners has no website, so I again don't have verified show details, but going by past shows there that I've reported, expect a 9:00 PM start time, I doubt there's a cover charge, and I'm pretty sure you must be 21 to get in. If you want something heavy this weekend in Sault Michigan, Blind Baby will have you covered!

Next up, Browbeat are back! The local hard rock trio most recently known as Social Play are back from a recent hiatus and have a new internet page, this time hosted on Reverbnation! It's nicely updated so far with some band information and a link to the video I shot of them performing "Walk Away" at their lone show under the "Social Play" name in January! The page also confirms the current lineup, including current Caveman Morrison bassist Dutch Vanderploeg on lead vocals and guitar and the returning Tiffany Emmerson on bass! Now on drums is Sean See, replacing the departed Chris Smith. Nice to see them back, I know how much Dutch wanted to keep this band going, they really were a fun band to check out, and I can't wait to see them live again in the future! For now, check out their new page at this location, and as I hear more on them, I'll have it for you guys!

And to close today's post, three quick news updates, in alphabetical order by band name:
  • Garden of Bedlam officially entered Stereo Soul Studios this past weekend to begin recording sessions for their first full length album! According to producer Miguel Gauthier at his Facebook page, the scratch tracks and demos are done, and the first recordings tracked were by drummer Derek Turner, who Miguel concluded must not be human by his skills. Miguel says "this is shaping up to be a mean, mean album" and "prepare to have your teeth punched in." I'll take his word for that! When I hear more, I'll let you all know!
  • Local experimental hard rockers SBD have posted two new songs onto their SoundClick page! One, "Rio Bravo", has a definite "southern/grunge" feel, while "Rubber Hose/Throwing Pies" is actually very hard to describe. You'll have to listen to it for yourself, they have a wide variety of stuff ranging from moshable songs to trippy fare over at their page, so click here for those songs and more!
  • Woods of Ypres have added two more dates to their American tour, with stops now booked for July 12th in Stockbridge, Georgia and July 13th in Philadelphia! Get full details at this location, I have both shows listed in the out-of-town listings on your right! Also, a fan of Woods of Ypres in Montreal has started a Facebook group to help get a booking for the band there, click here to check it out! Still waiting for a Sault Ste. Marie show though...I hope a local booking pops up, we'd love if David brought Woods back to our burial ground!
There, I think we're mostly caught up for news now! Stay tuned for much more in the coming days, I guarantee a new post of some type will be up by Sunday, likely sooner!

No comments: