Sunday, October 18, 2020

A Personal Note

Hello everyone, just a heads up that my mother Mary passed away early this morning after a 5 year battle with ovarian cancer. If you're family or a friend on Facebook, you may already know more of the details, and I appreciate any and all condolences already made and yet to come. Though her musical tastes largely lied elsewhere, my mom was infinitely supportive of what I have been doing with The Sault Metal Scene over the past 13+ years, and her help in getting me to concerts when I didn't have a vehicle handy was a huge boon for our early concert reviews. I fondly remember her joking suggestions that I add a "Mom's Corner" feature on the SMS where she could review music she liked for a change. While not a musician herself, she had notable connections over the years, from working with and befriending members of The Danger Cats while managing Kelly's Hair Care, to her friendships with the Becker brothers of Sykotyk Rampage and Soundcheck drummer Glen Thomas.

Regarding the short-term future of The Sault Metal Scene... honestly, given the slow-down in news and updates from the metal/punk scene during the pandemic, there might not be much of a change. Lately, I feel like I've only been posting once every three days (my usual minimum guarantee) because there's been little to write about. In a sense, I am a slave to routine, but for obvious reasons, things could be delayed further for the time being as we sort out her affairs. I do have topics ready for a new post that, under normal circumstances, would have hit the site in a post tomorrow, but I don't know what tomorrow holds now. I will try to have something on the site by Wednesday, but in advance, I thank you for your patience, and keep my mom in your thoughts. R.I.P. Mom, I love and miss you.



1 comment:

Ash said...

I'm so sorry for your loss and I hope your doing okay under the circumstances.