Wednesday, September 29, 2010

SHORT NOTICE LOCAL CONCERT ALERT (Turner Up), Caveman Morrison Preview, And Fresh Magazine News!!

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates since Sunday, but we have hit a slow patch for news and updates. I expect fall to regress from the summer peak we often see, so don't worry, I haven't abandoned the SMS! I do promise to you guys that I will have a new post every three days or sooner, as long as I can get to a computer, and I have some stuff today! I don't normally do it this early, but we'll have weekend concert previews today rather than Thursday or Friday just to make sure this post covers it in the event not enough new stories come in by then. That, and news on the new issue of The Fresh Magazine, is on the way, but first, here's a SHORT NOTICE LOCAL CONCERT ALERT!! (Updated: Wednesday, 9:48 PM)

Were you Turner Up fans wondering if they'd have a show this weekend? Well, they do, two in fact, with some more short notice bookings THIS WEEKEND at The Canadian Nightclub! I apologize for not having these earlier, the Saturday show was only announced Tuesday night, and the Friday show was confirmed on bassist Jeff Gray's Facebook page. As is custom for Turner Up shows, you must be 19 to enter, and both shows start at 10:00 PM on Saturday. The Canadian tends to have a cover charge of around $3, so make sure you have cash. For more details, visit the above links and the Facebook event page! Should be more fun shows from Turner Up, so if you have nothing planned for this weekend, you know where to head to enjoy some classic hard rock covers and some drinks! And if this is too short notice for you, they'll be at The Nicolet Tavern next weekend, so make note! For a video preview, check out this clip of Turner Up covering Gavin DeGraw's "I Don't Wanna Be" at this location!

The other known metal concert this weekend is also the first of the month of October, as local metal cover trio Caveman Morrison return to The Rockstar Bar for a single show on Friday night! Expect to hear lots of great covers of your favourite metal and non-metal bands alike! The new lineup sound great, they'll be sure to impress on Friday! Like most of their shows, Caveman Morrison are on at 10:00 PM, you must be 19 to enter, and there is NO COVER CHARGE! For more details on this show, check the above links and the official Facebook event page. This will definitely be a good show, so I recommend you guys head out and see what Caveman Morrison have to offer on Friday! They have songs for everyone, but enough heavy tunes to get heads banging! And if you miss them Friday, they'll be at The Vibe Lounge next weekend, so you'll get a chance to see them! For a video preview, here's Caveman Morrison covering Ozzy Osbourne's "I Don't Know" at a show two weeks ago at Foggy Notions!



Third today, here's what you should know that is metal-relevant in the new issue of The Fresh Magazine! Yes, the fall issue of the FREE local youth-oriented newspaper is now available at numerous local outlets, having been sent out last week, and I finally have a copy to tell you guys what to look for! I'd say visit their website to check the PDF version too, but the site's currently down. The big news is that Downtown Showdown Battle of the Bands winners Bring The Fallen have finally gotten their interview and cover feature in this issue! I thought we'd get the band itself on the front cover and a more in-depth interview, but hey, you take what you can get. I also find it curious that the interviewed band member(s) don't get name credit in the issue, but it's still a good read! The band talk about their battles of the bands successes, what they're looking for out of labels, their thoughts on the local metal scene and it's future, band dynamics, local concert venues, and much more!

It's concise but informative, and though I won't give too much away, I will point out two things. One, the band finally acknowledged the whereabouts of their dormant first EP, saying it's waiting to be mastered. And two, they were kind enough to plug me and my work with the SMS in the interview, which was extremely nice of them! But in all fairness, I don't deserve half as much credit as the bands do. Nice article, you can find it on page 20 of the fall issue of The Fresh Magazine!

The other local metal-related story in the new issue is actually one that I wrote. I was asked if I'd like to submit a freelance article for inclusion in the fall issue, and I gladly accepted, so I decided to write one titled "Local Metal Bands To Watch For This Fall". I didn't want to copy content from the SMS, so I decided to give capsule looks at five bands who looked to have exciting things on the local horizon in the fall. I picked Garden of Bedlam, Gates of Winter, Lion Ride, Sense of Truth, and Sault Michigan's Nixxon Dixxon. I won't spoil anything, but I do want to note a few things in case people find a discrepancy or error in the article. I had a character limit, so things are rather concise. Plus, this was written in July, so parts of it are admittedly outdated, notably the inclusion of the now broken up Nixxon Dixxon. I had NO idea they'd be disbanding when I wrote this, and they were riding high on the success of their Kewadin Festival appearance, so it made perfect sense at the time to include them. It was fun writing this article, hopefully you guys enjoy it! My piece is conveniently on page 19, right behind the Bring The Fallen interview, so make sure to check both out by getting the new issue of The Fresh Magazine while they're available! Remember, they're FREE, and full of many great articles!

That's all for today, but stay tuned for more local metal news and updates by Saturday, hopefully sooner! I wanna get another post in before September wraps up, but who knows. I'll be back real soon!

No comments: