Sunday, January 22, 2012

Tym Morrison & Sneaky Pete Concert Reviews!!

Well, it's time for two more concert reviews at The Sault Metal Scene, as I went to two different shows yesterday for the first time in some months! That's the entirety of this post, so read on below for my thoughts, but check out this month's YouTube Channel Profile on Borderline Divine (now Stillbroke's) old YouTube channel in the post below this one!

My day started oddly early for a 2:00 PM show at Bossy's Pub N' Grub on Pim Street, as Caveman Morrison frontman Tym Morrison stopped in there for his third show in his current weekly concert arrangement! Before that though, I wanna apologize for a missed date of his, as Tym apparently rocked The Service Grill on Korah Road on the evening of January 14th. My sincere apologies for missing it, I don't know how it slipped me by for promoting on here. Yesterday though, Tym delivered an entertaining afternoon of covers for fans and Bossy's regulars, and I'm glad to have finally got out to have seen his solo show for the first time since 2009! Though Tym had a late start due to some vehicle trouble, he unloaded a nicely varied setlist of all kinds of classic songs, ranging from heavier fare like Metallica, Blue Oyster Cult, and Night Ranger to Beatles, Eric Clapton, and Billy Joel tracks, and even some Garth Brooks! His solo stuff is similar to a Caveman Morrison set, if unplugged and more wider reaching, so fans of the band would have been at home here. Ironically, like the last time I saw Tym live, he was battling a cold, and when we chatted between sets, he was visibly dealing with it, but during the songs, it was honestly not a factor.

Tym's guitar playing was good, and his singing voice was strong, but the cold did prevent him from singing some higher-sung covers. I'd also like to see his stage setup a bit more central in Bossy's, like where the Hollow reunion was staged, but I can understand why pool tables are out in that area for patrons. Overall though, Tym's solo show was a fun afternoon of entertaining music, and if you're ever in the Cambrian Mall or Canadian Nightclub area on a Sunday afternoon, stop in for a few hours to enjoy some great covers! Check out my photos from Tym's show at this location or at our Facebook page, and yes, I did get a video, so here's Tym covering Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters" yesterday afternoon!



Following that, I finally got a chance to see local hard rock quartet Sneaky Pete at The Rockstar Bar, many months after their debut last year! In terms of their live setup, they truly made the stage their own, filling it with lots of signature band items and numerous instruments, and their sound fit accordingly! Singer and drummer Mike Oakley can sure handle both roles well, and he rarely missed a beat throughout each set, and lead guitarist Mario Carlucci shone on his riffs and solos as well! Bill Brouillard's guitar work and backing vocals fit well also, and he had a very nice stage presence, while Sean Berlinguette handled the low end about as wella s I expected last night as well! Very talented guys overall, with few flubs or glaring errors for what they played. Their setlist covered all bases, ranging from Guns N' Roses, Ozzy Osbourne, and AC/DC songs to some surprising selections like The Neon Trees, Big & Rich, and Duran Duran, but it helped keep their setlits open and accessible to all audiences, and the people there were very receptive! I did notice that their first set was noticeably heavier than their following sets, which is sort of odd compared to what I'm used to, but it's all good!

I did find that maybe the bass could have boosted in the mix a bit, and Sneaky Pete's smoke machine didn't give my camera ideal shooting conditions (lots of bright grey photos), but that didn't detract from my enjoyment of their set! Sneaky Pete's hard rocking covers are definitely worth checking out, and hopefully I'll see them again on a local stage soon! Check out my photos from last night at this location, or visit the SMS on Facebook as linked above, and I again apologize for the quality. That said, I got a good quality video of their opening song last night, so here's their cover of Saliva's "Ladies & Gentlemen"!



That's all for today, but stay tuned for more news this week, along with this month's Saultites In Out Of Town Bands Profile on Age of Days on Thursday! Thanks everyone!

No comments: