Saturday, July 4, 2009

Garden of Bedlam CD Release Show Review!

Well, I've had some time to get second anniversary shit up and ready (Check the post immediately below for details), and to untangle my hair from all the headbanging I did last night, so now it's time to review last night's Garden of Bedlam CD release show for you guys! First off, I have to thank Buzz for letting me get in free, that was damn nice of him! Plus, there was merchandise for sale, including band t-shirts and Garden of Bedlam's EP, which I do recommend you pick up, it's well worth it!

Sense of Truth were the openers, and remember how I mentioned that they might look a bit different? Well, they've added Ron Baxter (formerly from Driving Dave Home) on guitar, turning the band into a five-piece, and allowing frontman Cory Murchison to focus solely on singing! Looks like that's paid off so far, cause Cory's vocals impressed me more than ever last night! The rest of the bands did great, as I expected, even throwing in some Tool and A Perfect Circle covers!

It may just be me, but I think Sense of Truth are getting heavier every time I see them! My only real complaint is missing some of my favourite originals, like "Anything At All" and "Closing Doors", but maybe next time! Plus, the crowd should have got on to the floor to rock out, people didn't hit the floor en masse til Garden of Bedlam took the stage! Even still, Sense of Truth put in a great performance, and I hope to see them again real soon!

After a break that wasn't too long at all, Garden of Bedlam hit the stage, and fucking tore the house down! The mosh pits started, everyone was headbanging (I have the tangled hair to prove it), and more importantly, Garden of Bedlam were AWESOME! Along with all the songs on their EP, Garden of Bedlam debuted some brand new, never before played originals, as well as some covers of bands like Tool, The Deftones, Helmet, and System of a Down! Every single song sounded great, and the whole band stood out!

Buzz's vocals were as strong as ever, Josh Belleau had some excellent riffs and solos, while Even Belleau and Derek Turner did awesome as well! Also, you gotta love the return of Buzz's megaphone to the show! The crowd was really into them as well, people were jumping on stage, moshing, rocking out, everyone was having a great time! You couldn't ask for much more out of a Garden of Bedlam performance! From a fan's standpoint, I can't complain at all, I just hope that they have another show real soon!

Overall, it was one hell of a concert, and I hope to be there for Garden of Bedlam's all ages show, when it's rescheduled! If you're 19 and weren't there, you really fucking missed out! And as you can tell, I took lots of pictures! But, I'm gonna cease using the Photobucket account. Why? Facebook, that's why! I've uploaded the best pics I took to our new official Facebook page, so check them out at this location!! I'm happy with them, and got some good shots, but what do you think?

And finally for this post, Donna Hopper has posted a short review featuring 16 photos from the concert on SooToday at this location! At least check this out for the pictures, which are a million times better than anything I take will be! I really liked the one comment she made in the review, and I quote:
"The evening was tight, intense and loud. In other words, a perfect metal show. Both bands are shining examples of a genre that unfortunately flies under the Sault Ste. Marie entertainment radar far too often. And it's not necessary to be a metal fan to appreciate skill, musicianship and extreme energy that Garden of Bedlam is more than happy to dish out."
Donna hit the nail right on the head with that statement, don't you think? I personally couldn't agree more. I'll leave it at that for today, stay tuned for more metal news and updates as they happen, and BECOME A FAN OF THE SMS ON FACEBOOK!!!

No comments: