Friday, June 12, 2009

Interesting Local Metal Stuff I Found On Google!

Well guys, you know how I've mentioned on here that I love finding old inactive Sault area bands online? Well, I was searching Google last night to see if I could find some. No luck. But I did dig up a handful of things that relate to local bands and artists, that I thought might be cool to share! So check out what I found!

First of all, you remember As It Stands? The now defunct hardcore band from Sault Ontario? Well, as I'm sure many of you will remember, they started off as an emo band. And wouldn't you know it, the MySpace page for their original emo incarnation is still online! It features some bio information, old photos, and even two songs from this period! It was started way back in February 2006, but hasn't been updated since November of that year. Now, speaking as a metal fan, I do prefer As It Stands as they were from 2007-2009, but it's interesting to look back on and see where they evolved from! Check out their original MySpace page at this location!

So, what else did I discover? Well, I found the MySpace page for a local rap duo known as The Ghetto Children. And, believe it or not, their members are Gates of Winter/Woods of Ypres guitarist Bryan Belleau and former Gates of Winter drummer Kevin Overton! I gotta say, it's not as bad as I was expecting! And besides, it shows that they're having some fun doing this, and it's worth a listen, even if only for a laugh! Who knows, you might become a fan!

Now, I want to direct you to a now inactive hard rock band from Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, known as Levitate. Why, you might ask? Because their frontman was.............Cory Murchison of Sense of Truth! How about that? I did some more checking, and sure enough, it's the same guy. It looks like he lived out there before moving to the Soo! Go check out Levitate's page, they have two songs posted, both sound pretty good! Now how's that for a find? It's not often you find songs by locals before coming here, usually it's musicians that left here!

And my last interesting find relates to a defunct local metal band known as Sin Stereo. They consisted of Greg Simpson on drums, Michael Davies on guitar, and Jon Ferguson on bass, with all sharing vocal duties. Their GarageBand page features two originals and lots of bio information. Well, I did some searching, and guess what other local band these three comprise? Stiffler's Mom, the local rock band who you might remember from various bar shows, and opening for INXS at The Essar Centre! I'm not sure whether Stiffler's Mom was a side project, evolution, or new band entirely, but both bands definitely are one and the same, members-wise! And I never clued in to that until last night!

And finally, I have added the MySpace page for Adamantium Productions, the booking company run by Fitswitch guitarist Rick White, to the Other Local Metal Links! It hasn't been too active lately, but we'll have to see if anything new pops up soon! Stay tuned to The Sault Metal Scene this weekend for a Stillbroke concert preview, the APE CD review, and more!

No comments: