Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Three More Local Hard Rock Bands From The Past!!!

So I was surfing the net today, and I finally found some more defunct local bands to share with you guys! No real band websites or pages, but I do have some videos and information, and let's see if we bring back some memories, or gain some interest with this post! (And remember, for news on Garden of Bedlam's CD release show, It's Just Me, The Womb, and more, check out the post immediately below this one, it's packed with stuff!)

So the first band I'll talk about is Alibi, a long since defunct hard rock band that (to the best of my knowledge) came from Sault Michigan. They featured Dave Adams on vocals, Brian Patterson on guitar, Richie Blair on bass, Greg Johnson on keyboard, and Richie Dale on drums. I know of them from a video posted on Youtube by user mistermulder77, taken at a high school dance performance in 1988! The song they play in the video is a cover of the Lita Ford hit "Kiss Me Deadly", and it's definitely interesting to hear with a male singer!

I'd embed the video on the SMS to show you guys, but mistermulder77 has disabled embedding by request, so the best I can do is give you guys the link, so click here to check out the video! The song starts at around 1:34, and before and after the song, you'll see backstage stuff and general craziness from the band! They aren't bad, and I wonder what happened to these guys in the last 21 years?

Next, I found a defunct hard rock band from Sault Ontario known as BeeFMouTH! They were active in the area in the late 90s and early part of the 2000s. I don't know much about them, but Kevin Campbell from the band has posted six videos of BeeFMouTH jams and performances on his Youtube channel! Their songs aren't bad, it's a mix of punk and hardcore metal with almost screaming vocals, but not like some screamo-core band. These guys are pretty good, it's too bad they broke up! I've added Kevin's channel (also named BeeFMouTH) to the Local Metal Band Links! And check out this video of them performing their original song "White"!



Finally, we come to a band that I would really love to find out more about, but can't track down a whole lot on. They were Driver, a local metal band from the early 1990s that featured (among others) noted local drummer Glen Thomas, who plays for bands like Flat Stanley, Route 69, Wishbone, The Crank Shop, and more! In the early 90s, Driver apparently had studio recordings and also did some touring through Ontario. I know these guys are metal cause I read that they covered Iron Maiden and Dio, and their frontman at the time, Rick Thompson, had vocals with ability close to that of Queensryche frontman Geoff Tate! And you can bet that got me interested!

Thomas has a nice writeup on Driver on this board post, talking about some band experiences and happenings from way back. It's three years old, but still a good read! When he posted it, he linked to three songs off of Putfile, but that site has since been closed down and took over by EBaumsWorld, so the links are dead, and I haven't found much else about Driver. But believe me, if I do, I'll share with you guys, cause this band sounds like they were pretty damn good! Check out the Driver post at this location! It's the third post on the page, and includes six band photos, so it's easy to spot!

So there's a bit of a blast from the past for you all! I love searching the net for forgotten and lost local metal bands, it's like searching for buried treasure! A lot of old local bands are punk, which is good, but finding some old metal from back in the day is awesome, and I love sharing what I find with you guys!

More local metal news to come very soon, stay tuned! And remember, the SMS turns 2 years old in just 18 DAYS!

No comments: