Thursday, December 10, 2009

LOCAL CONCERT ALERT (Ultraviolence), Caveman Morrison Concert Previews, And Much More!

Loaded post today, I've found and heard a lot more stuff worth mentioning for this very snowy Thursday evening! And we'll begin with another LOCAL CONCERT ALERT!

At last, we have our first confirmed metal concert in Sault Ontario for 2010, and it comes courtesy of a band we've seen before in these parts! Toronto hard rockers Ultraviolence will return to Coch's Corner for a concert full of "filthy drunk n' roll!" You may remember seeing these guys at Coch's Corner on September 3, at a show that I almost went to, but had prior commitments. This time, they'll be playing there on January 12th, with a given start time of 8:00 PM (I doubt it will start that early though.) Seeing as it's a typical Coch's Corner show, don't expect a cover charge. Very solid band, if you're looking for music to get drunk to, Ultraviolence should do the trick! AC/DC fans will like this band too! Check out some of their songs at their official MySpace page, and as I hear more about this concert, I'll let you guys know!

Next up, there's a pair of metal concerts this weekend, so here's your local concert preview! Local metal band Caveman Morrison return for their first full concert sets since August, when they play two shows tomorrow night and Saturday night at The Algonquin Hotel! But just because they're both at the Algonquin doesn't mean they're both in the same spot. Tomorrow's show will be in the bar DOWNSTAIRS at The Algonquin, while Saturday's show will be UPSTAIRS at The Rockstar Bar, which has quickly been gaining momentum as a concert spot! No cover charges have been announced. These will be the band's first full concerts with new bassist Rick White (also of Frightlight), and they will have merchandise for sale as well (note to self: get a t-shirt!) They'll be playing tons of great metal covers, and maybe some originals too!

Should be a good night, Caveman Morrison always rocked when I saw them in my high school days, and this should be no different! I'll definitely be seeing them Saturday night at The Rockstar Bar, Friday's up in the air, but I guarantee I'll be there on Saturday! It'll be nice to see The Rockstar Bar in person too, it looks like a nice venue! For more details, and to confirm your attendance, click here for tomorrow's concert, and here for Saturday's concert! Still don't have an embeddable video to share on here, but visit this location to see some old Caveman Morrison videos at their official website!

And now we come to more stuff from the Three Days Grace concert on Tuesday! Four more videos from it have been uploaded to YouTube! Two come from YouTube user mdj60, who got clips of "Break" and another shorter clip, which you can check out at this location! The other two are from the floor, and are from the YouTube channel of user taylortrecroce! Audio quality isn't bad here at all, though the camera work is jittery from all the jumping and activity. Check out their clip of the band playing "The Good Life" right here, and check out taylortrecroce's video of 3DG playing "Never Too Late" by clicking here!



Next, do you guys remember that local band Amethyst that I've recently profiled on the SMS? Well, the band's bassist, Chipp Robb, got in contact with me the other day, and he told me a bit more about Amethyst and what he's been up to since the band broke up! Apparently, the band were nominated for (get this) a MuchMusic Video Award back in the day for Best Independent Hard Rock Video! Now that's awesome, though I couldn't find any clips or transcripts from the MMVAs that year. Chipp told me he thinks he's the only band member still active in music, and he's kept busy in a number of bands in the Calgary area, which he moved to back in 1995. He owns a recording studio there, works as a production coordinator, and has played in bands like The Plain Tongued Devils, Desmadre, and a Frank Zappa tribute act! He also seemed happy that someone remembered Amethyst, and now he's interesting in possibly writing up an Amethyst band history, which would be awesome to read! Great to hear, thanks to Chipp for the messages! And remember, check out Amethyst's "Innocent As Hell" album at our official YouTube channel!

And finally for today, three quick news items:
  • Sault Michigan metal band Analog Deficiency have announced the addition of drummer Marcel Grengs to their lineup! I remember that the drummer search was part of the reason for their lack of recent activity, so it's great to see! Can't wait to hear more from these guys, they have promise!
  • I've heard continuing reports from people and from another recent SooToday article that Kiss tickets are still being sporadically released by The Essar Center! They're not publicizing the release of new tickets at all, so this is an instance where you guys have to be on The Essar Center's website at the right time to test your luck. Last I heard, there were still some available, so head to this location to try and get a ticket if you don't have one already!
  • Former Driving Dave Home drummer Steve Brogno (last seen in the Rage Against The Machine tribute band Renegades) is looking to join a new band! He's open to anything except grindcore and country, and he's looking for serious musicians only. Gotta be someone out there in the market for a drummer, they're in short supply locally! If you're interested in getting him for your band, search for Steve Brogno (Sudbury, ON network) on Facebook!
That's all for now, if I don't have any news by Saturday (which is unlikely), I'll see you guys that night for Caveman Morrison at The Rockstar Bar! Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i finaly got in touch with Mark at 101 about the Kiss Battle. He gave me the run down order of the winning bands from the finals. Great bands in that show, eh. My friends want to join in if there is another contest. I can't wait. I am so pumped.
1) Garden of Bedlam
2)Lionride
3) Gsis Murphy
4) Nixxon Dixon (the American band)
5) Sense of truth
6) Blues Harvest
7) Stifflers Momm
8) Wishbone
9) Nebrasca Arms
10) Flat Stanlee
craig

The Sault Metal Scene said...

So that's how the top 10 looked? Interesting! Some surprises there in terms of placement, I won't elaborate on that though (I don't want to play favourites.) Thanks for the info, Craig!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Chipp, are you there? I'm Cheyenne, you might not know me, but you knew my mom, she's Karen Mitchel, remember? I know a little about you. Not enough though, please look for her somewhere, if you're on MSN, not facebook please find me and add my e-mail. I don't want to give it to you quite right now. Oh, I am 12 years old and we live in Goulais, please get back to us Chipp, my mom needs you soon, she hasn't smiled in a while and the newsletter she makes, (Northern newsletter) is stressing her out. Thank you.