Monday, August 17, 2009

Woods of Ypres Concert Review!!

Alright guys, it's time for me to share my thoughts of last night's Woods of Ypres concert at The Speakeasy! Before I mention the concert itself, remember the Fuck The Facts and Woods of Ypres shows last year? Well, as it turns out, I won the framed signed picture draws at BOTH shows, and almost a year later, David from Woods had the prizes and told me I won them both! I couldn't believe it, but hey, I'll take them late! Thanks David!

So the show started with locals Necropolis, and I've gotta say, they surprised me! I mean, I saw them at the YMCA Battle of the Bands, and on Youtube clips, but going in, I wasn't expecting them to be this tight and heavy! Frontman Josh Stephney (who drummed at the YMCA Battle) really got my attention, with vocals more reminiscent of death and grindcore than thrash, it was awesome! The band itself were straight thrash, and it made for a real good mix!

Also, unlike many young local bands, these guys had their entire main set consist of their own originals, only breaking out a Trivium cover for their encore! The band all have great stage presence, guitarists Dan Souliere and Andrew Chiarello also stood out, and they got some very intense pits going! I just wish they'd play more "metal" shows, they get on the lineups of a lot of punk shows, but here's hoping they'll get on more shows like this one!

Following them was Inflict, themselves making their long awaited return to the Soo! And they were equally as brutal as they were last year! Frontman Dan Rogers was definitely channeling much evil with his singing, and the rest of the band tore it down! I've always seen some Lamb of God-ish sounds in these guys, and it definitely shown again tonight! They also got lots of pits going, and with good reason! They also played two brand new songs off of their soon-to-be-released album, which sounded real good as well! I can't be alone in saying I wanna see them back here in the near future!

And closing the night were the band I have been waiting to see live again for 9 months: Woods of Ypres! They delivered on all counts with their music, and they actually sounded heavier and angrier than I remember from last year! David Gold's singing verged on death growling at parts, which was really cool! He and Bryan Belleau were also solid on guitar, and despite no real "solos", the harmonizing and riffs were excellent! New bassist Shane Madden was solid, while his brother Evan did awesome on drums as well! They played fan favourites like "A Meeting Place And Time" and "Thrill Of The Struggle", among others, and (as we expected), "Your Ontario Town Is A Burial Ground"!

Plus, they unveiled two brand new songs for their forthcoming release, "Woods IV: The Green Album", the first of which was very doom metal-like, the second was more black metal. Both sound good, and I can't wait to hear the studio version! I do wish they'd played longer (no encore either), or at least thrown in some more classics, like "Shedding The Deadwood" and "The Northern Cold", but regardless, they kicked ass and lived up to my expectations! It might be the only local show of the year, but I already can't wait for their next concert here in this burial ground we call home!

So yeah, I had loads of fun last night, and I bought myself a Woods t-shirt and a limited edition cassette tape of their first album! That, plus loads of free stuff and the two pictures I won last year, and I'm more than happy! Great great show, and if you weren't there, you missed out! As you can tell, I took lots of pictures, check them out at our official Facebook page! If I hear anything more from the show (i.e. pics, reviews, videos, etc.), I'll let you guys know!

I'll have a post later tonight as well, I have some Woods of Ypres-related stuff to mention, plus a newly posted original from a local band, a CD review schedule change, and maybe some more things, so stay tuned for that tonight! Also, I will have a brand new poll posted on the SMS tomorrow, so if you haven't weighed in on your favourite local show in Sault Michigan in the first half of 2009, VOTE NOW BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!! I'll see you guys later on!

No comments: